Welcome to our Community

Congratulations on becoming a member of the Burt community. 

As your local Federal Member of Parliament, I welcome you to our wonderful and diverse community.

As your representative in Federal Parliament, my staff and I are always available to provide help and information on federal government or community services, as well as to hear your ideas about how we build a better Burt and a better Australia.


I've provided some information below that you might find helpful:

On this page

  • Federal Government services
  • Local Government
  • State Government
  • COVID-19 information

Three tiers of Government. 

In Western Australia we have three tiers of Government all with varied responsibilities; Federal, State and Local.

Federal Government: 

The Federal or Commonwealth Government is responsible for the conduct of national affairs. Its areas of responsibility are stated in the Australian Constitution and include;

    • defence and foreign affairs;
    • trade,
    • interstate commerce;
    • immigration;
    • taxation;
    • postal services,
    • telecommunications and broadcasting;
    • air travel;
    • most social services and pensions.

The Federal Government is also involved, mainly through funding, in many things largely carried out by the States, such as health, education, environmental issues, industrial relations, etc.

Should you have any concerns with Federal Government departments, agencies or services, you can contact me for assistance.

State Government:

The work of the State Government is varied, the roles and responsibilities of State Government include: 

    • Public housing
    • Criminal/civil law
    • Development
    • The environment
    • Schools and hospitals
    • Transport and police
    • Natural resources and land
    • Public utilities (i.e. electricity, roads and infrastructure)

Information about all Western Australian State Government agencies and services can be found at https://www.wa.gov.au/agency 

The following State Members of Parliament represent our community, you can contact your representative should you need assistance with any State Government issues:

Local Government 

The work of Local Government is varied, but it touches almost all areas of our day to day life as citizens – whether we live in cities, towns or country areas.

The roles and responsibilities of Local Government generally include:

    • infrastructure and property services, including local roads, bridges, footpaths, drainage, waste collection and management
    • provision of recreation facilities, such as parks, sports fields and stadiums, golf courses, swimming pools, sport centres, halls, camping grounds and caravan parks
    • health services such as water and food inspection, immunisation services, toilet facilities, noise control and meat inspection and animal control
    • community services, such as child-care, aged care and accommodation, community care and welfare services
    • building services, including inspections, licensing, certification and enforcement
    • planning and development approval
    • administration of facilities, such as airports and aerodromes, ports and marinas, cemeteries, parking facilities and street parking
    • cultural facilities and services, such as libraries, art galleries and museums
    • water and sewerage services


City of Armadale 

      • Phone 9394 5000
      • Email info@armadale.wa.gov.au 
      • Opening Hours Monday - Friday 8:15am to 4:45pm
      • Address 7 Orchard Avenue, Armadale
      • Postal Address Locked Bag 2, Armadale, Western Australia 6992

City of Gosnells

      • Phone 9397 3000
      • Email council@gosnells.wa.gov.au 
      • Opening Hours Monday - Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm
      • Address 2120 Albany Highway, Gosnells 
      • Postal Address PO BOX 662, Gosnells, WA, 6990

Useful Government Services 

There are a variety of government services available to you. 

COVID-19 information