ANTHONY ALBANESE MP
SHADOW MINISTER FOR INFRASTRUCTURE,
TRANSPORT, CITIES AND REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT
MATT KEOGH MP
MEMBER FOR BURT
LABOR CANDIDATE FOR SWAN
LABOR CANDIDATE FOR HASLUCK
LABOR CANDIDATE FOR CANNING
FEDERAL LABOR COMMITS TO DELIVER MAJOR PERTH ROADS PACKAGE
A Shorten Labor Government will partner with the McGowan Labor Government to invest $1.7 billion to enhance road safety and ease congestion across Perths eastern and southern suburbs.
This comprehensive roads package will create 8,000 new jobs, eliminate bottlenecks on the Tonkin and Roe highways and facilitate connections to a future Outer Harbour.
It will also fix Perths most-congested black spot: the intersection between the Tonkin Highway and Welshpool Road.
Traffic congestion is eroding the quality of life of Perth residents and acting as a hand brake on productivity and economic growth.
Perths population is set to double by 2046. Without investment in transformative infrastructure, the annual economic cost of congestion will rise from $1.8 billion to $16 billion by 2031.
Thats why Federal Labor will not only invest in the Citys roads, but also the METRONET.
Together, this investment in Perths rail and roads will not only enhance the Citys fantastic quality of life, but also unlock major productivity gains that will underpin future economic and jobs growth.
Federal Labors $929 million investment in the Tonkin Highway will:
- Widen the Highway between the Great Eastern Highway and just north of Guildford Road;
- Build grade separated interchanges at the intersections with Kelvin and Welshpool roads as well as a new flyover at Hale Road;
- Extend the Tonkin Highway between Thomas Road and South Western Highway in Mundijong.
Federal Labor will also invest nearly $160 million in the Roe Highway projects, which would:
- Build grade separated interchanges on the Great Eastern Highway Bypass at the intersection between the Roe Highway and Abernethy Road.
- Upgrade Abernethy Road.
Additional projects include:
- Constructing a grade separated interchange at the intersection between Leach Highway and Welshpool Road.
- Extending Lloyd Street from the Great Eastern Highway Bypass to Clayton Street in Midland.
- Upgrading the intersection between Thomas and Nicholson roads in Oakford.
During the six years of the Abbott-Turnbull-Morrison Governments cuts and chaos, Western Australia has been short-changed on infrastructure investment. Instead of working with the State Government in a bi-partisan manner, they have wasted precious time on their ill-conceived Perth Freight Link.
The former Federal Labor Government dramatically increased infrastructure investment in WA. We identified and funded projects such as Perth City Link, Swan Valley Bypass/Northlink, Gateway WA as well as major upgrades to the Leach and Tonkin highways.
All up, we increased Federal grant funding from $154 to $261 per West Australian.
We stand ready to build on that record.